Upgrading from much older versions of Evoq may present unique challenges for your site. Over time, certain methods, modules, and tools have been added or deprecated from Evoq that may affect your site's content and function.
We developed this official recommended upgrade path as a way to break a large upgrade into a smaller, more incremental process with targeted upgrades that cover periods of major software changes. We've tested this path to minimize the upgrade issues that may arise.
- DNN Evoq 5.6.8+
We recommend you review the DNN upgrade procedure before proceeding.
Since each upgrade scenario can result in unique complexities and challenges we recommend following these basic upgrade steps. Below are the upgrade paths:
|FROM Version||TO Version|
While upgrading to a newer version of DNN, there are important versions to take note of as these versions can break your environment if you are not properly prepared for them.
- NET 4.5.1 or higher is now required. This is because we require ASP.NET Web API 2.1.1 and MVC 5.1.1 for some WebAPI related work
- newtownsoft.dll (json.net) is updated from 4.5.11 to 7.0.1
- Support for IE 8 has been removed (meaning IE 9 or greater is required)
- Medium Trust is no longer supported
Removal of core modules
- SiteLog - https://github.com/DNNCommunity/Dnn.SiteLog
- Newsletters - https://github.com/DNNCommunity/Dnn.Newsletter
- Vendors & Banners - https://github.com/DNNCommunity/DNN.Vendors
Removal of navigation providers
Please review: https://www.dnnsoftware.com/wiki/dnn-8-breaking-changes
Deprecated API methods
- In DNN 9.2.0, multiple APIs were removed that were marked deprecated in DNN 7 and before. Most of the core modules have been updated since and you can find them at https://github.com/dnncommunity. If you have other modules installed, please check for updates before upgrading beyond DNN 9.2.0.
As an example, you may see errors that look like the following:
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void DotNetNuke.Framework.CDefault.AddStyleSheet(System.String, System.String)
- You can read more about these deprecated API methods here.
Updates to jQuery, NewtonSoft, etc.
- Updates to core files have also been made. Being aware of these changes will help prevent compatibility issues with some custom modules and themes.
- jQuery has been updated from 1.9.1 (as of 9.1.1) to 3.2.1.
- jQuery UI has been updated from 1.11.3 (as of 9.1.1) to 1.12.1.
- NewtonSoft updated to 10.0.3
- Sharpziplib updated to 0.86.0.518
- Client Dependency updated to 1.9.3
- Removed over 500 deprecated APIs
- Removed 51 Degrees
The goal of many of our changes in 9.2 was to completely remove previously-deprecated Telerik components from DNN and Evoq.
How to download historical packages?
For DNN Platform
- Go to Community Downloads and select 'Download DNN Platform
For Evoq Customers
- Go to Software Downloads (You will need a login to dnnsoftware.com)
- Choose the required version ( We selected Evoq | Basic in this example)
- To download the latest version, click the New Install or Upgrade button
- To download older versions, select Additional Files > Downloads Archive
- Select the version(s) you need to download.
Important Evoq version naming conventions
In previous versions, DNN editions had different naming conventions. Below is a table of what the edition was named before compared to what it is named now.
|Version||Named Edition||Present Edition|
|2.0.0||Dotnetnuke Suite||Evoq Engage|
|6.0.0||Evoq Social||Evoq Engage|
|7.1.2||DotNetNuke Professional||Evoq Basic|
|7.2.0||Evoq Content||Evoq Basic|
|7.3.4||DotNetNuke Enterprise||Evoq Content|
|8.0.0||Evoq Content Basic||Evoq Basic|
|8.0.0||Evoq Content||Evoq Content|
|8.0.0||Evoq Engage||Evoq Engage|
|9.1.1||Evoq Basic||Evoq Basic|
You can test the upgrade is successful by following the steps:
- Check every third-party module to see if they produce any errors.
- You can check the DNN logs for any errors after each incremental upgrade.
If the site is inaccessible, please roll back the environment to its previous state with a backup and review all the upgrade steps once again.
You can also review Troubleshooting Common Upgrade Problems guide for further troubleshooting.