The following is a troubleshooting checklist that should be referenced when facing issues with a new DNN installation. It is broken down into three major sections: Windows Server, Database, and Installation Wizard.
- The version of windows should be Server 2012 or newer.
- Ensure the correct installation package was downloaded.
- The installation package .zip file was unblocked in the file properties.
- The entire archive was extracted successfully.
- The correct windows features were enabled.
- IIS is functioning as expected (able to browse to the default site).
- The site in IIS points to the folder where the files were extracted.
- Which application pool the site is using.
- Which identity the application pool is using.
- That the application pool identity has modify permission on the folder.
- Connect As… is set to the application pool identity.
- The site has the correct bindings in IIS.
- The site and application pool are both started in IIS.
- The application pool has all default settings in basic and advanced.
More details can be found in this article on setting up IIS.
- SQL Server is accessible using SSMS.
- The database has been created and is named as expected.
- The SQL login has been created and the password is confirmed.
- SQL Server error logs are free from any error messages.
- SQL Server authentication mode is correct for the login type.
- The correct domain was entered, based on the IIS binding.
- There are no errors in the browser console.
- Alternative browsers can be used if needed.
- Clear browser cache.
- The correct database settings are entered into the wizard, including database type.
- Object qualifier should not be used in most cases.