Database backup is a common maintenance task. It is highly recommended as a part of the general disaster recovery strategy and before any kind of significant production change. The process may vary slightly depending on the version of the database engine. The steps below will represent backup file creation using SQL Server Management Studio Express.
- Access to SQL Server and SQL Management Studio
- Run SQL Server Management Studio.
- Connect to your DNN database.
- Locate your DNN database in the Explorer window at the left.
- Right-click on your database.
- Click Tasks.
- Click Back Up...
- Select Full in the Type List Box.
- Click on the default backup path under Destination section.
- Click Remove button to remove the default/last backup file name.
- Click Add Button.
- Input location of your choice which will be used to save backup file (e. g. “C:\Backup\backmeup-Full-041608.bak“). Keep in mind that this will be an entire file path with a file name.
- Verify the file path in the Select Backup Destination window.
- Click on Media Options.
- Click Overwrite all existing backup sets radio button. This will help to avoid conflicts while performing a restore as opposed to appending to the existing data set.
- Press OK button once backup process will be completed successfully.
Verify that the file with the specified name and under the specified path has been created. The SQL backup should end with a .bak