Search results are scoped by default to a specific site’s content. It is also possible to expand the scope to include results for other sites that are part of a site group.
Here are the instructions to achieve this cross-portal Search functionality.
Setting up Site Groups
You must have a site group set up to enable searching across multiple sites.
Please read more about Site Groups here:
Changing Search Results scope
Once sites are set up in a site group, you need to change the scope for your Search Results page on each sub-site.
To do this:
- Go to Persona Bar > Content > Pages > look for Search Results
- Edit the Page > go to Search Results module Settings
- Go to Search Results Settings tab > Click on Results Scope for Site and add all the sites you want to be able to search content from there.
- Press Update when done.
You need to do this on every site in the site group.
Adding URL paths to the Search Crawler
- On your master site, go to Persona Bar -> Settings -> Site Settings -> Search -> Crawling
- Under URL Paths click + Add URL
- Type in the URL for your other portal
- Set Enable Spidering to ON
You need to add the URL for every portal in the site group that you want to show up in the search results.
Re-indexing the site content (search results)
- Recycle then stop the Application Pool in IIS
- Delete (if needed, keep a backup) the index contents of the Search folder [SiteRootDirectory] > App_Data > Search
- Start the Application Pool in IIS
- Navigate to Settings -> Search -> Basic Settings -> click Re-index Content and Re-index Host Content
- Navigate to Site Settings > Scheduler ->Search Site Crawler > click Edit (pencil icon) -> Run now
- Repeat step 5 for all three of the search crawlers manually: Site Crawler / URL Crawler / File Crawler
- Check (click) the Log button on the right side of the ‘Search: Site Crawler’ to confirm the indexing history ran successfully (icon on the far right of Search: Site Crawler). Ensure ‘Succeeded’ is check marked indicating a completed search
- After doing so, navigate to Settings > Servers > Clear Cache and Restart Application
The search results should crawl through every site after your scheduled tasks have run and indexed the contents.
Author: Radu Vaduva