Users will utilize the export feature to move a finished site from a testing environment to a production instance. The following instructions will help admins and content managers export individual sites within a DNN portal.
You need to have SuperUser/Host access to be able to perform the steps outlined in this article.
- An export can take time, depending on the selected components and the size of the site.
- The export will fail if any files or folders utilize a forward slash in their name. These should be renamed prior to attempting an export.
Log in to your DNN portal with SuperUser/Host credentials.
Go to Persona Bar > Settings > Import / Export.
Select the specific site to export from the site dropdown.
Click on the Export Data button.
Configure the export settings as needed.
Field Description Name A user-friendly name to refer to the export Include in Export The components to export Pages in Export The pages to export Include Deletions If enabled (On), Recycle Bin items are exported
Note: These items are not imported into a Production installation.
Run Now If enabled (On), the process starts immediately Export Mode
- Differential: Exports only the differences between the last export and the current state
- Full: Exports the selected components and pages fully
Note: The first export is always a full export
Click on the Begin Export button. The following dialogue box will pop up:
You will be automatically brought to the queue section. Validate that the export has successfully finished by looking for the Completed status:
Note: The export will be found in the
App_Data/ExportImportfolder of your DNN installation.
The Jobs are stored in the
ExportImportJobs table and the Logs for each job are stored in the
- Level 0 logs are for every event in the process.
- Level 1 logs are for general information such as totals, sizes.
- Level 2 logs are for warnings, such as pages skipped.
- Level 3 logs are for errors and exceptions.
Most of the time, errors are not logged into the regular log file since the errors are caught by the Import/Export process; nevertheless, in case there are bigger errors such as when applying permissions to modules, then these will be logged in the regular file.
You can test that the Export is successful:
- Go to Settings > Import/Export
- Select a site.
- Click Import Data
- If you see the Export file in the list of exports, you will know that the export has been created.
Please sign in to leave a comment.